Monday, October 30, 2017

Result of last Oct Sketchwalk

171028_HawParVilla



171028_HawParVillaCar

Work in progress for the top two sketches.

I sketched from the left of a long sketch. This is the tiger and I was trying to continue with the leopard in the afternoon but did not, may be another day. I will be back.

I last brought my three children there for the Dragon water ride when they were little. Yes, the Dragon water ride was the main attraction for many years before Universal Studio on Sentosa island. Built in 1937, Haw Par Villa is famous for its often gruesome depictions of Chinese folklore’s 10 Courts of Hell apart from the Dragon water ride near its main entrance. The theme park is recently repainted with all the existing features and scenes from Chinese legends such as Journey to the West and Madame White Snake. From the many antique cars owned by the brothers, you can tell how the brothers love to flaunt their wealth.

You will see tiger balm advertisement all over the park since that is what the two famous brother, Aw Boon Haw and Aw Boon Par got the fortune from in the old days. I sketched the Haw (tiger) and will sketch the Par (leopard) another day.